If Consciousness, or Aware Energy, is the Source and Substance of All That Is, why can’t we talk to it?
By Roger Peterson “Pete”
In desperate moments, many of us seek help from “God” or a higher source of consciousness. Isn’t that right? When we do this are we affirming that, somehow, we’re both one with and separate from All That Is, that we’re not only products of creation; we’re creation itself? If we really believe that we’re separate from everything else, why, during moments of tragedy, do we act as if we’re connected?
By asking questions concerning things we want to know, value questions, and listening for answers, are we hoping to form a bridge that enables us to receive answers from other areas or levels of Consciousness? It seems that way to me. To activate this ability in yourself, open your heart and mind. Believe, focus, be patient and practice. Experiment, explore!
Once you prepare a question, it’s important to be in a relaxed state of consciousness before directing it to the source you want to communicate with. Imagine you’re talking to a friend, your inner self, God or the collective consciousness of All That Is. You would expect the entity your addressing to answer your question if they could, wouldn’t you?
Even though names are labels, they serve as meaningful identifiers. They help you focus on whatever aspect of consciousness you want to communicate with. When I think of “Tom” and “Jane”, I think about my brother, Tom, and his wife, Jane, even though there are many Toms and Jane’s in the world. By using labels as identifiers, we can direct questions to any aspect of consciousness we choose and get answers from them in the form of telepathic or symbolic (experiential) messages. We’re only limited by our imagination and what we choose to believe.
If you already meditate or study dreams, you may receive answers as soon as you ask a question. Some answers may come to you in the morning when you wake up, or over the course of several days as complete thoughts. Like recalling a name, they may just “pop” into your head during unguarded moments. Some answers are even triggered by experiences in waking reality. There are many ways other aspects of consciousness can communicate with us when we open ourselves up to receive it. (See Inside Ivy for an example of Direct Inner Communication)
One thing to be aware of; there are many less-evolved entities happy to lead us astray. It’s important to be clear about who you want answers from and the quality of the answers you’re willing to accept. Not only is it important to seek out the best sources of knowledge, it’s important to challenge the answers you get to make sure they support the kind of experience you want. When someone has a bad experience with the Ouija board, it’s often because sh/e expect the unknown to be scary. It’s the Law of Attraction at work; you get what you concentrate on. Demand the best and you’ll get it! Look for the worst in your experience and you’ll get that too.
Several answers I received below made me cry as I wrote them down. Unlike many of our “official” cultural values, they contain values I want to live up to. They not only express love, they make sense to me! Some answers were challenging and took a while for me to “Grok” (understand). Eventually, I was rewarded with new understanding and new meaning that helped me move beyond some of my old beliefs and limitations. The answers I received represent the kind of higher understanding and wisdom, the kind of guidance and direction, I’ve longed for my whole life. Ask your own Value Questions and listen for your own Intuitive Answers. I asked these questions in the early 1980’s. They’re a little goofy but they worked!
Value Questions and Intuitive Answers
Inner Self, what has the greatest meaning in my life and how can I have more fun doing it than I can possibly imagine?
1) Love yourself unconditionally and appreciate yourself for the magic and wonder that you are!
2) Remove all limiting and conflicting beliefs that impede the full and joyful expression of your spontaneous* self in All That Is!
3) Be the full and joyful expression of your spontaneous self right now and always!
4) Begin to materialize the most important and stimulating project ideas that arise out of the full and joyful expression of your spontaneous self, right now!
* Spontaneity: the natural and unimpeded expression of Consciousness (Energetic Awareness). To allow spontaneity in our thoughts and actions, we must trust the goodness of who we are and what we’re doing in the present.
Inner Self, how can I continue to operate at optimum levels of health, vitality, and performance for the rest of my life?
1) Continue to live your life with joy, eat responsibly, and exercise regularly for the rest of your life!
2) Trust all that you are to naturally operate at optimum levels of health, vitality, and performance!
3) Love yourself unconditionally, and know that your being is right within the world.
4) Continue to work with your beliefs to create even greater clarity, personal power, health, and vitality.
Inner self, how can I help the members of my family achieve optimum levels of health, vitality, and performance?
1) Love the members of your family unconditionally!
2) Acknowledge the power and worth in every member of your family!
3) Trust every member of your family to naturally operate at optimum levels of health, vitality, and performance!
World, how can I help you change for the better?
1) Change yourself for the better by continuing to improve your belief system!
2) Develop a meaningful plan of action and work on actualizing it every day!
3) Believe in yourself and your own unique abilities. No one can do a better job of creating your reality than you!
4) Live by value fulfillment and practice idealism. In other words, determine the qualities of being and creation you value most, your ideals,* and actualize them to the best of your ability!
* Ideals are ideas that represent who we love to be and what we love to do. (“Everything you do must be worthy of your ideals or they become something else, something less than ideal.” – Seth)
All That Is, how can I best serve you as a human being here on earth and as an eternal soul in All That Is?
1) Love both the Oneness and individuality of All That Is. In other words, love All That Is, unconditionally! (Read Encounter with Unconditional Love)
2) Be who you love to be and do what you love to do to maximize your enthusiasm, joy, and success in life. In other words, be yourself to the best of your ability!
3) Be absolutely joyful about living your life, expanding your awareness, and consciously creating your reality from moment to moment!
4) Learn and teach a loving, playful, and empowering form of reality creation!
Human Consciousness, how can I experience more love, truth, and joy in our relationship than I can possibly imagine?
1) Be yourself to the best of your ability!
2) Love us and accept us as we are – as living, loving, learning and evolving aspects of consciousness!
3) Stop putting conditions and limitations on our being!
4) In other words, love us unconditionally!
“Be the full and joyful expression of your spontaneous self…’, ‘ Love yourself unconditionally, and know that your being is right within the world…’,’Trust All That You Are to naturally operate at optimum levels of health, vitality, and performance.’, ‘Continue to work with your beliefs to create even greater clarity, personal power, health, and vitality.’, ‘Change yourself for the better by continuing to improve your belief system.’, ‘Acknowledge the power and worth in others (and yourself)…’, ‘Believe in yourself and your own unique abilities. No one can do a better job of creating your reality than you!’, ‘Live by value fulfillment and practice idealism.’, ‘Be who you love to be and do what you love to do to maximize your enthusiasm, joy, and success in life.’, ‘Be absolutely joyful about living your life…’, ”Be yourself to the best of your ability!’, and, ‘Stop putting conditions and limitations on our Being!”
Wow, what a radical departure from the “official” values of this world, and what a profound affirmation of our basic goodness! How many of us receive love, trust and encouragement like this from one another, society or its institutions? Much of what we get from one another, and our institutions, is the need to distrust ourselves, the need to put conditions and limitations on our being because “we’re basically bad and can’t trust ourselves.”
It’s not that any of the Intuitive Answers above are new or unheard of; it’s that they clearly emphasize love, personal power, self-acceptance and spontaneity over the “official” waking world values of fear, distrust, limitation, competition and survival of the fittest. Read What I Learned in Catholic School and My Recurring Superman Nightmare. Both experiences describe my inner thoughts and feelings about the version of reality I was creating. I don’t know if it applies to you but it might.
The Intuitive Answer I found most challenging came from All That Is. It was, “Love both the Oneness and the individuality of All That Is.” My first reaction was, Are you kidding me? How can I love that person who just rudely cut me off in traffic, or someone who, in their pursuit of personal wealth and power, is responsible for the death, poisoning or maiming of innocent people and the planet? As a matter of fact, I could think of countless examples of human behavior that should not be forgiven. As I considered these many, seemingly, good reasons for not loving someone, I recalled an experience that looked at this situation from a different viewpoint.
It concerned my parents and our relationship while I was growing up. During meditation in the 1980’s (in my early to mid-forties), I began to think about them and the contentious nature of our relationship. I couldn’t wait to join the Air Force to get away from home and school. As soon as I turned seventeen, I quit school and joined the Air Force. (See: The Healing Power of Forgiveness)
During meditation, after reviewing the unhappy times during my childhood, I began to look at the world through my parent’s eyes. As I did, I began to appreciate how challenging life was for them. I began to remember all the things they did for my brothers and me, not just what they didn’t do. For example, they kept a roof over our heads. They kept food on the table. We had race horses, a dog, cats, goats, rabbits, and a garden every year. When I turned twelve, we sold the race horses and bought an old thirty-foot boat that had been used as a Rum Runner between Cuba and the United States during prohibition. We kept it in Casco Bay off Falmouth Foreside, a beautiful spot, and spent many summers boating, swimming, fishing and picnicking on Basket Island. We even water skied when the bay was calm. While it’s true, I didn’t receive much personal attention, moral support or affection from my parents, I did experience a rich life with them.
As I thought about these things in meditation, tears filled my eyes and I imaginatively hugged my parents. Surrounded by love, I forgave them for their shortcomings and apologized for mine. Oddly, once the process was finished, I realized there was nothing for any of us to forgive because, we were all doing the best we could with what we knew and, when we understood more, we did better! It’s automatic!
Challenge the answers you get no matter what their source. Be fair! If they don’t feel right, throw them out! Trust your heart and mind to know what works for you and what doesn’t, what makes you happy and what doesn’t. Just because a parent or teacher tells you their truth, it doesn’t mean it should automatically become your truth because it comes from them. If ideas don’t serve you well or make you happy, discard and replace them with ideas that do work and make you happy. The buck stops with you when it comes to giving and accepting ideas as bedrock reality. We owe it to ourselves and All That Is to evaluate every idea that attempts to define who we are and what reality is because it impacts our being, which in turn, impacts the world and beyond.
For further reference on Inner communication, read Talk to the Universe. It’s a great example of what can happen when we follow spontaneous intuition.
“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having (creating) a human experience.” – Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Instead of money, power and privilege, would love, truth and joy be a better measure of success? One isolates us in the material world of separation, scarcity, and competition while the other not only acknowledges our oneness AND separation, it acknowledges our role in creation itself. Using love, truth, and joy as measures of success provides us with a moral compass. It encourages us to live for the love of Being and Creation, instead of running from the fear of suffering and death. It inspires us to find and express what’s best in all that we are.
“How you define yourself and the world around you, forms your intent, which, in turn, forms your reality.” – Seth
In other words, we create our own reality from what we choose to believe about ourselves, and the world around us.
If we don’t consciously choose our own beliefs, we unconsciously absorb them from our surroundings.
If beliefs, attitudes, values and expectations create our reality, can we afford not to question them?
Bless us all with love and understanding.
The secrets of the universe lie hidden in the shadows of our experience. Look for them.
Affirm what you believe!